Saturday, September 4, 2010

Thoughts

A while back, while on my furlough, a dear friend asked me, "Rachel, what is the biggest thing you've learned about God since your time in Mexico?" I wasn't prepared for the question, and gave an answer about how He is in control. And while I have definitely learned that He is in control, I haven't quite stopped thinking about that question since, knowing that there is something a lot bigger I've come to learn about God.

It's just me and Him.

I guess you can say I've been "fed" spiritually all of my life. Christian family, with Christian morals and values. Christian schools, devotionals, friends, etc, etc. And, while I am so blessed to have been raised in a Christian environment, and even more blessed to have studied at Oklahoma Christian University where I was able to be surrounded by other Christian disciples while I made life-choices, I must say that my spiritual walk with God was "easy" during these times. But Mexico changed that. That's right - throughout all of these trials, struggles, moments of pure joy, and moments of complete homesickness -- no matter how many phone calls, emails, facebook messages, or twitter posts I made about it all, nothing was ever more satisfying, and sometimes painful, than going to the Lord. Of course, where would I be without all of you who are in prayer and communication with me during these times; But if there's one thing I've learned about God - it's that He works on a personal, one-on-one basis. I can't bring any one or other thing into the relationship. These "growing pains" have been a blessing in disguise, because, my dear friends, I have come to learn that my faith walk doesn't include my best friend, or my parents, or my spiritual mentors.... it's just me and Him.
---------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note, we have a youth meeting today at 4pm. Tomorrow I'm teaching the kids class during the sermon, and I believe we might have a youth get-together Sunday night. It looks to be a busy, but blissful, time with some amazing people. Have a great Labor Day holiday weekend!

Be Strong in the Lord,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Rach! I am so glad I got to read this. I never talk to you as much as I intend (I can't spell, forgive me) to. I am however praying for you which is equally important. Love!

    ReplyDelete

About Us

My photo
Piedras Negras, Mexico